1. Leave plastic wrap/bandage on for a minimum of 2 hours to keep air-born bacteria from invading your wound. As awesome as your new tattoo is, it is still a WOUND. Open flesh is a breeding ground for bacteria and infection. Leave the bandage on for a minimum of two hours.
2. After 2-3 hours. Remove bandage/plastic wrap gently and wash with warm water and an antibacterial soap (from a pump dispenser), DO NOT REBANDAGE.
3. Gently pat dry with a clean paper towel and apply a thin layer of Aquaphor Ointment.
4. For the next 5-7 days, apply a thin layer of Aquaphor ointment 2 to 3 times a day or as needed. Ointment can be applied whenever the tattoo is feeling stiff or dry but beware of over-moisturizing. When the tattoo is kept moist it doesn't have a chance to form a scab but does form a thin membrane to protect the tattoo while it heals. This layer peels off very similar to a sunburn (do not peel your tattoo, you will pull the ink out!) and it is perfectly normal to see small flakes of colored skin falling off during this stage of healing.
5. After the first week, you can switch to applying an unscented lotion to your tattoo a few times a day.
6. Do not scratch or pick at your tattoo while it is healing (at least 7-10 days). Loss of color or infection could occur.
7. Stay out of sunlight and tanning booths.
8. Extreme sun exposure over the years WILL fade your tattoo. This can be minimized by using a strong SPF on your tattoo.
9. Avoid soaking your tattoo in a tub, sauna, Jacuzzi, or swimming pool while your tattoo is healing. Showers are fine.
10. If you experience extreme swelling, itching or have any questions or concerns about your tattoo, call us immediately at (203) 433-4222 - 141 N Main St, Branford, CT 06405 -